Lunch doesn’t have to consist of carb filled sandwiches each and every day. There are some fantastic alternatives including wraps made from eggs or lettuce, and vegetables rather than carbs, such as cauliflower instead of cous cous. You can even make zucchini noodles to replace pasta. Mix up your daily lunch box with these 11 healthy, low carb lunch box ideas.
1. Bacon Lettuce Tomato (BLT Spring Rolls from White on Rice Couple
These spring rolls are made using rice paper, fresh vegetables, herbs and grilled meats. They are the perfect light summer lunch.
2. Skinny omelette recipe from 101 Cookbooks
Eggs don’t have to be just for breakfast. Try these lovely thin omelette wraps as a low carb alternative to flour wraps, and fill them with your favourite fillings.
3. Mediterranean zucchini noodle pasta from The Roasted Root
Instead of pasta, this delicious lunch zucchini turned into noodles using a spiral slicer. Follow the recipe or top the zucchini pasta with your own low carb sauce.
4. Cauliflower cous cous with leeks and sun dried tomatoes from A House in the Hills
Cauliflower processed until it resembles the consistency and texture of cous cous is a great alternative to ordinary cous cous. Add some leeks and sun dried tomatoes and you have a delicious, healthy lunch.
5. Kale and mushroom spaghetti squash quiche from I Food Real
This healthy quiche uses spaghetti squash as the crust, as is filled with kale, mushrooms, egg whites plus cottage cheese for a little protein boost.
6. Crustless salmon quiche from Ditch the Carbs
This crustless quiche is a great way to economically stretch out a piece of salmon. You could even bake the mixture in some mini muffin tins to make it easier to take to school or work.
7. Cheesy low-carb broccoli and cauliflower soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Soup is the ultimate low carb lunch box meal, just keep it in a thermos if you don’t have access to a microwave. This cheesy soup is packed full with broccoli and cauliflower.
8. Veggie sushi rolls from Nutrition Stripped
This sushi is filled with only avocado and fresh crunchy vegetables like zucchini, carrot and capsicum. Serve it with the soy-like dipping sauce included in the recipe.
9. White bean and tuna salad from Bon Appetit
This healthy salad is served with radicchio and is topped with a parsley vinaigrette. Make the salad ahead for lunch and keep the dressing in a small separate container. Add the dressing just before you eat the salad to keep it crisp and fresh.
10. Ultimate clean and lean lettuce wrap from Sheer Luxe
Use iceberg lettuce leaves rather than wraps and fill with roast turkey, sliced cucumber and hummus.
11. Roast beef roll ups from Nom Nom Paleo
The meat is the wrap in this roast beef roll ups recipe. Fill with vegetables and tie together with a sprig of chive.
Do you have any low carb recipes you would like to share? We would love to hear from you!