My Gran has always preserved her own lemons and this is the recipe she has passed down to us.
With a full lemon tree in our backyard I make jars and jars of these and give them to friends. We use in sweet and savoury dishes and have even been known to eat straight out of the jar!
- 1 kg Lemons
- 10 cloves
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 800 mills lemon juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 bay leaves
- Wash lemons and pat dry.
- Cut into quarters.
- Sprinkle salt on the base of the jar approx 3 tablespoons.
- rall lemon quarters in remaining salt.
- Pop lemons into jar and pack firmly.
- Add the cinnamon cloves and bay leaves to the jar.
- Pour in lemon juice it should cover the top of the lemons.
- pop on air tight lid and store in cool dark place for approx 5 weeks.
- Once opened store in fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- See how we sterilise jars here:
Serves 1250 mill jar.