When I was a child I so badly wanted to make toffee, I was convinced that all you needed was honey or golden syrup and a freezer. I found out this wasn’t the right way after mum went out one day and I took to pouring syrup into cupcake shells and putting them in the freezer. let’s just say mum wasn’t happy to come home and see syrup running all though her freezer. Mum promptly taught me the correct way to make toffee and here it is.
You can use this toffee recipe in a lot of different dishes like toffee apples, in molds for school fetes and drizzling on cakes. I am using it in peanut brittle for this recipe yum!
- Butter 1 teaspoon
- Sugar 2 cups
- Water 4 tablespoons’
- Vinegar 2 teaspoons
- 1 cup Unsalted peanuts or nuts of your choice.
- Boil sugar water and vinegar rapidly until a golden colour.
- once you think it is ready test my dropping a dropping cold water it should be a bit brittle.
- Add butter and boil for another minute.
- Line a tray with baking paper. I used a round tray, but any tray will work.
- Pour half the mixture onto the tray until the bottom is covered.
- Sprinkle nuts over the top so that most of the toffee is covered.
- Pour the rest of the mixture over the top and lightly sprinkle a few more nuts.
- Set aside to cool then pop in the fringed for 4 hours.
- Once firm brake into random shard sizes.
- Eat on its own or use to decorate cakes.
Tip: Blitz in a food processor and stir though ice cream yum!
Do you have a super easy recipe you would like to share?